Pages

Monday, December 17, 2018

A Surprise

Last night I expressed my worry about stepping on the scale this morning. However, I'm happy to report that I was pleasantly surprised!


That means -- that since November 26th, which was just three weeks ago, I have lost a total of 9.8 pounds. Nearly ten pounds in three weeks? I'll take it!

I know the first week was a bit drastic; after all, I dropped nearly seven pounds. (Thank you, Thanksgiving.) But, the last two weeks (1.4 and 1.6 pounds respectively) have been slow and steady, which I know is what will make the biggest difference in the long run.


I currently have five months, one week, and two days -- or approximately 23 weeks -- until the Big Day. If I continue losing 1.5 pounds a week, I will drop 34.5 more pounds, which means I will weigh less than I did when I felt the most smokin' hot of my entire life -- three years ago, just before I ran a 19-minute PR in a half marathon; shortly prior to running a 200-mile relay race; months before multiple MRIs, steroid injections, and half a year in and out of a boot; and a year before ankle surgery and the subsequent recovery.

Spring Break Fashion Show, 2016
Wearing 7 For All Mankind jeans that I had bought years previously -- as motivation.
Three things:

1. I know that I should not be focused on losing weight for one day. Of course. But, it's also hard not to think of such a big day as a teeny tiny bit of motivation.

2. I know that I will not lose 1.5 pounds a week. I know there will be weeks that I lose less than that, weeks where I do not lose at all, and (hopefully very few) weeks where I gain. But, I'm hopeful that I'm moving in the right direction.

3. I know that while the scale may say even less than what I weighed in Spring 2016, there's a chance that my body will not look the same: I was running a lot of miles each week (training for a half marathon) and lifting heavy weights at least five days a week. (Gosh, it's so weird that my ankle pooped out during that time...) While I am working out at least five days a week now, only one of those days is heavy lifting, and the other four to five are focused on Pilates. I'd like to add in some additional core workouts (like I was doing in 2016) and hopefully some walks when it's not super freezing outside.

And speaking of the aforementioned Thing Two: I have a sneaking suspicion that this week will be one of those weeks. First, I'm not even sure how I'll track lunch and dinner this Wednesday: we have a potluck at school, and then Jesus and I have a tasting for our wedding that evening. Second, Jesus and I are heading out of town on Saturday -- to see our brand-new baby nephew (!) and then to my parents' house for holiday celebrations -- and we won't be back until Monday afternoon. (How will I weigh in? I don't know. Tuesday morning, I suppose.) And then there's Christmas Day.

While I am going to track as best as I can, I'm not sure how accurate much of it will be, especially on Wednesday and when I'm out of town. But, as long as I continue to be mindful and not go too crazy, I should be okay.

Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment