Pages

Monday, December 31, 2018

Stop Doubting Yourself

The title of this post is my new mantra: stop doubting yourself, Emmy.

After over a week of not tracking a single thing, eating an entire box of ginger bread cookies, going out for drinks two nights in a row (who am I?), grabbing a bite of candy and/or brittle here and there, etc., I still managed to lose weight.


Yes, that's right: I made it through the holidays and lost a pound.

For those of you keeping track (i.e. my mom, the only person who reads this), here's the grand total for 2018 (well, the last five weeks of it, that is):


Eleven point two pounds overall? That's not too shabby -- not too shabby at all.

After a week of (feeling like I've been) binge-eating, I am back to tracking religiously via my Weight Watchers app this morning. As soon as these thyroid meds kick in (I have to wait an hour after I take them to eat), I'm going to indulge in some Mushroom & Swiss Potato Breakfast Casserole. It's been cooking all night and smells delicious -- and, it's only two points!

Yesterday, I spent a lot of time prepping for nutritional success in the coming year. And that preparation has some special (crazy?) kind of "Emmy Organization" to it.

I have found myself cooking a lot of Skinnytaste recipes over the last five weeks: first, her food is super tasty, and second, she already has the points values figured out, so it is much less work for me. But, every week when I go to make my meal plan, I spend quite a while perusing her website -- when I own all three of her cookbooks, have already made (and love) several of her dishes, etc.

So, I went through each of her cookbooks and noted recipes that I would like to make, sorted them (by type of dish), wrote down the title of the cookbook and the page number, and found how many points each was worth. I then went through and highlighted ones I'd already made.

The "Chicken" section is much more highlighted. We eat a lot of poultry.
This will be a super helpful ongoing document: I know that I will continue to look on her website --as well as the Weight Watchers website, Pinterest, Cooking Light, etc. -- for new things to make, so I can update this as I do so. It'll make life so much easier.

And speaking of meal planning, this is how I figure out what the heck I'm making:


First, I identify what my schedule for the week is (second row from the bottom) -- like, if there's anything "out of the ordinary." Then, I figure out when I am able to work out; typically, I do Pilates on Monday, Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday, and I workout with Tyler on Thursday. This week, though, is a little goofy because a.) the studio is closed for New Year's on Tuesday, and b.) I have an afternoon meeting instead of a morning meeting on Wednesday, which means I'm able to workout in the morning.

Side note: when I first started working out before school, I always scheduled my Pilates classes far in advance, knowing that if I "just pressed snooze one more time" and missed the class, it would be a $20 no-show fee. What can I say? I'm externally motivated. Now, though, it's just the norm for me to wake up at 5:15, so I don't usually schedule in advance; also, with it being winter and the weather being so dicey, I don't want to risk not making it due to ice/snow/sleet/etc.

So after I figure out my schedule and my workouts, I plan my meals accordingly. If I have an evening obligation, I know that I should plan an easy dinner for that night (i.e. something in the crockpot). I also know that when I make something that has several servings, I'll be able to eat a lot of leftovers -- hence the duplicates, especially for lunch.

I also obviously left a few "time slots" empty. I don't want to over-plan for a couple of reasons. First, I may have way more leftovers than anticipated, and I don't want food to go to waste. Second, I want life to be able to happen. Like, if I come home from school, and Jesus wants to cook dinner, awesome; I'll let him do so and save my planned meal for the next day. Or, maybe we decide we want to go out to dinner -- great!

Just because all of Sunday is empty for now does not mean it'll be a free-for-all. If I do end up going through all of the planned food prior to then, I'll just quickly plan another menu for us to stick to on Sunday. It'll all be okay.


When I have the week figured out, I look through all of the recipes, make a list of all the ingredients (separated into four columns: produce, refrigerator -- meat, cheese, dairy, freezer, and aisles), "pantry shop" to cross out what I already have, and then do one big run to the grocery store. I sometimes have to stop at a store on my way home from work if I can't find something on my big grocery run, but that's a rare occurrence.

And that's that, friends! Here's to continued success in 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment